RE: rman nocatalog - point in time recovery

From: Ruth Gramolini <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:47:28 -0400

Paula,

What version of Oracle? Was this an rman restore from an rman backup? Is this a production instance? and lastly, if you can tell, did the incarnation change when you did the open resetlogs?

Regards,
Ruth

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Ruth Gramolini Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 8:41 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Sometimes I find it is just expedient to use sqlplus to open the = database.
Sometimes, there is no other way. Rman is still a work in progress and = it
has been seriously improved since the 8.0.5... days but when you are = doing
incomplete recovery and it seems to want a redo log instead of an = archived
log, then I have found, sqlplus recover the way you did it is the = easiest
way. Even Oracle support has told me this.

HTH,
Ruth

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Schauss, Peter Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 4:12 PM
To: Oracle-L (E-mail)
Subject: rman nocatalog - point in time recovery

Enviroment: Oracle 8.1.7.4 / AIX 5.2

Scenario:

I restore my control files by copying them to the appropriate = directories on
the disk (e.g. /ora1/oradata/sid/control01.ctl ... /ora2/... = /ora3/...).

I run the following commands in rman

run {
set until logseq=3D1234 thread=3D1;

allocate channel ch1 type disk;
allocate channel ch2 type disk;
allocate channel ch3 type disk;

restore database;
recover database;
alter database open resetlogs;
}

Oracle says:

RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: set
RMAN-06003: ORACLE error from target database: RMAN-20206: log sequence =
not
found in the recovery catalog

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss

BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 4586007) is spam: Spam: =
https://dohsmsi01.doh.state.fl.us/canit/b.php?c=3Ds&i=3D4586007&m=3Ddd09e= d4dec9a
Not spam: =
https://dohsmsi01.doh.state.fl.us/canit/b.php?c=3Dn&i=3D4586007&m=3Ddd09e= d4dec9a
Forget vote: =