Re[4]: to_number question

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:37:57 -0400

Thursday, July 15, 2004, 9:09:02 AM, Wolfgang Breitling (breitliw_at_centrexcc.com) wrote:

WB> As I tried to explain in my post, the optimizer deals with basic relational
WB> operations - projection, filter, and join. If you visualize a table as a 2-
WB> dimensional array, then projection limits the total set veryically, to certain
WB> columns, and a filter limits the set horizontally, to a certain set of row, and
WB> a join cobines two sets. Relational theory guarantees that these operations are
WB> commutative, i.e. the order does not matter. The relational engine is
WB> explicitly allowed to reorder them as needed.

I respectfully disagree in this case. We're talking about a query with a subquery. Here's Stephen's query again:

   select /*+ NO_MERGE(Z) NO_PUSH_PRED(Z) PUSH_SUBQ(Z) */

         distinct nbr_cc_fop_name into v_fop    from (select nbr_cc_fop_name, nbr_cc_fop_high, nbr_cc_fop_low

         from nbr_cc
         where nbr_cc_fop_name in ('AX','MC','VI','DS')) Z
   where to_number(trim(substr(p_corigid,1,20))) between
            to_number(trim(nbr_cc_no_low))
            and to_number(trim(nbr_cc_no_high));

The target "table" for the outer query is that set of rows returned from the inner query. Thus, the outer query *must* consider only those rows. It's a fault, in my current opinion, for the outer query to look at any row not returned by the inner query.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com