RE: to_number question

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:45:18 -0700

Quoting Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com:

These are the "rules". If you don't like them, go back to hierarchical databases.
Using subqueries does not impose any order on the processing. Just like the order of predicates in the sql does not determine the order in which they are evaluated (caution - this is an analogy!). The RDBMS engine is allowed to restructure the sql any which way it sees fit. If your sql is dependent on a particular order of processing then
a) it is not proper relational query because in a relational query the order of processing is irrelevant.
b) you have to make sure that the query can not be reqritten such that your required order is violated.

> I'm more inclined to say that this is a bug.
It is not. It is a misconception on your part.

> If you have an example of "request it" that you think
> is correct and shows mine to be wrong, I would be most interested in it.

One of the ways to make sure that a subquery is evaluated on its own and not flattened (unnested) into the whole query is to use the rownum pseudocolumn: select distinct nbr_cc_fop_name, (X - Y) xxx, (X+Y) yyy  from (
   select nbr_cc_fop_name

     , to_number(trim(nbr_cc_no_high)) X
     , to_number(trim(nbr_cc_no_low)) Y
     , rownum rn

   from nbr_cc
   where nbr_cc_fop_name in ('AX','MC','VI','DS')    )

or use the hint as Tanel suggested.

> > Just as you can not assume that the resultset is
> > returned in a
> > particular order, you have to explicitly request it with an
> > "order by" clause.
>
> I would be most interested to see how an "order by" would fix this
> situation.

This was meant as an anlogy, not a fix for this situation.

--
regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle 7,8,8i,9i OCP DBA