RE: to_number question

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:05:29 -0600

What do you mean "the unhinted one ain't right". Your assumption about relational databases ain't right. You are assuming that the sql is processed in a particular order. But the underlying basis is relational theory (hence the name) NOT procedural processing. Your query contains several operators on the base set (the table): a projection (your select clause), a filter (your where clause) and a function on some fields (your to_number function). You were assuming that the filter would be applied before the function, but you can not assume that, you have to explicitly request it. Just as you can not assume that the resultset is returned in a particular order, you have to explicitly request it with an "order by" clause.

At 09:51 PM 7/14/2004, you wrote:
> [...]

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation