explain plan works when using vi, but fails with microsoft client

From: <ryan.gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:47:32 +0000

I have granted plustrace role and there is an explain plan. Database verion is 9.2.0.3. However, the windows client is just 9.0.1.3, do I really need to patch that client? I installed with the developer suite? I run the following from the same user on the same database connected to the unix server and running sqlplus and the following happens: SQL> set autotrace on
SQL> select 1 from dual;

         1

         1
Execution Plan

   0 SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=CHOOSE    1 0 TABLE ACCESS (FULL) OF 'DUAL' Statistics

          0  recursive calls
          0  db block gets
          3  consistent gets
          0  physical reads
          0  redo size
        484  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
        651  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
          2  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
          0  sorts (memory)
          0  sorts (disk)
          1  rows processed

Exact same thing against the same database with the same user with the windows client: SQL> set autotrace on
SP2-0618: Cannot find the Session Identifier. Check PLUSTRACE role is enabled SP2-0611: Error enabling STATISTICS report SQL> select 1 from dual;

         1

         1
Elapsed: 00:00:00.00