recovery error

From: Mike Hennesy <orcl9ps8dba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:24:12 -0700 (PDT)

I just had this dropped on my desk. Oracle 8.1.7.3 . The objective was to restore a backup of PRD on a different host and recover from the 6/30 5:00 AM backup until 7/1 at 4:30 AM.

I was told that the media recovery complete was almost instantaneous (didn't show processing of any archive logs, should have processed 15) and the ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG ALL took about 45 seconds to complete.

The following file with datafiles removed was executed after connect internal.

STARTUP NOMOUNT pfile=/u01/app/oracle/admin/fin/pfile/initprd.ora CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "PRD" NORESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG     MAXLOGFILES 32
.
. datafiles
.

CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1
;
recover database until time '2004-07-01:04:30:00'; ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG ALL;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN;   Produced the following.
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area                        966713504 bytes
Fixed Size                                          73888 bytes
Variable Size                                   693010432 bytes
Database Buffers                                253952000 bytes
Redo Buffers                                     19677184 bytes
Statement processed.
SVRMGR> recover database until time '2004-07-01:04:30:00'; Media recovery complete.
SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG ALL;
Statement processed.
SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN
*
ORA-01589: must use RESETLOGS or NORESETLOGS option for database open

I have access to the backed up files so I can restore what I need to. I'm not sure why the archive logs weren't processed. If anyone can shed some light I'd appreciate it. Do I have to recover all the datafiles?

Thanks - Mike

Do you Yahoo!?