Re: UPgrade from 8163 to 9.2?????

From: Faan DeSwardt <faan_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:17:36 -0700

Seema,

This should be a breeze and I have done it many times i.e. 8.1.x -> 9.2.x. The only DB's that offer some challenge are Oracle Apps DB's since Oracle has very tight dependencies between the Apps code and the version of the DB. Check the proper interoperability patches and dependencies on Metalink and test, tar, bug, patch, test, etc. Nothing new to the Oracle Apps upgrade scenario but you definitely want to thoroughly check your custom code as there are some nasty surprises in the way the CBO behaves between 8.x and 9.x.

The oldest version I've done is from 8.0.6 to 9.2.0 in a single upgrade script just 2 months ago for an OLTP database and no issues so far.

Obviously test upgrades and proper UAT will reveal any surprises specific to your env.

Thoroughly check the upgrade doc and make sure you have covered all the bases e.g. specific options need special attention.

Good Luck!

-f