re re SYSDBA

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:29:16 +0800

And as we can see you are not using spfile.
--> Yes. I am still using PFILEs [even for 9iRAC]

I suppose, in different organization there are can be different security requirements.
.
Hemant, I can bet your listener, are listening on deferent port then 1521
--> Most databases, unfortunately, have defaulted to 1521. But the
critical ones -- Financials (ERP)
are NOT on 1521 but on non-standard ports.

and protected by password (many sites haven't this).
--> Yes. All listeners have passwords.

Have you considered to run Oracle software under different Unix account then oracle (lets say under user with name zona262db) and dba group rename to cra213 for security propose?
--> The account is "oracle" or "ora817" or "ora920". Only on the 9iRAC
cluster did I set up a non-dba group, though. That was to seperate the Production
from the Test databases as I have only 1 cluster [ouch !] but want to be able to run
both databases on it.

There also recommendation to lock Oracle Software owner account and switch to it from another one.
--> IT Security has been after me for this. The "oracle" account should
have nologin / noshell
and I must login as myself "hemant" and "su" to "oracle". Can't say that I have done this yet.

.
I just would say, there are different sites as well as different requirements.
.
If you have height security requirements I would recommend to order "Oracle Security Step-by-Step" by Pete Finnigan. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0974372749/qid=1089648916/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7956793-2529636?v=glance&s=books There are quite interesting ideas how to secure your Oracle env. by maximum.
Jurijs
9268222
--> I take Security only to a certain level, only till it doesn't become
a burden for me. Patches for vulnerabilities are applied but not all databases are updated/upgraded just for patches [e.g if the patch is released on 8.1.7.4 but my DB is still 8.1.7.2, tough-luck !]

http://otn.oracle.com/ocm/jvelikanovs.html

Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
12.07.2004 18:10
Please respond to oracle-l

         To:     oracle-l_at_freelists.org
         cc:
         Subject:        re SYSDBA

As a rule, I prefer "REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=NONE "

Thus, only a local account in the "dba" group can login as SYSDBA, preventing logins over remote connections.

I even had an auditor point to my Plumtree database {where Plumtree's init.ora used a REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE} and ask me to disable it.

Hemant

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."