9.2.0.4 buffer (sort)

From: Gamble, Scott <Scott.Gamble_at_cardinal.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:16:07 -0500

Platform HP Tru64 5.1b
DB version 9.2.0.4

During testing of 9.2.0.4 on a test database with full production data =
(fully analyzed) I have a query critical to this application that is =
performing slower in the 9.2.0.4 database.=20

I have been trying to find information on metalink about what exactly = the difference is between a sort join and a buffer sort and not finding = anything useful. That is one of the differences in the plan. The other = difference is the moving of the table access to tril_adjustments but if = I read that correctly that should be an improvement.

Tkprof output from both versions.

8.1.7.4

 499  call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query    =
current        rows

 500 ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- = ---------- ----------
 501  Parse       60      0.01       0.01          0          0          =
0           0
 502  Execute     60      0.01       0.01          0          0          =
0           0
 503  Fetch      180      1.34       4.49        476     158921        =
480       19368

 504 ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- = ---------- ----------
 505  total      300      1.36       4.51        476     158921        =
480       19368

 506
 507 Misses in library cache during parse: 1  508 Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
 509 Parsing user id: 38
 510
 511 Rows Row Source Operation
 512  -------  ---------------------------------------------------
 513      328  SORT ORDER BY
 514      328   NESTED LOOPS
 515      869    MERGE JOIN CARTESIAN
 516       32     TABLE ACCESS FULL TRIL_JOINS_WRK
 517      899     SORT JOIN
 518       28      TABLE ACCESS FULL TRIL_JOINS_WRK
 519      328    TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID TRIL_ADJUSTMENTS
 520     1196     INDEX RANGE SCAN (object id 3915)
 521
 522 =

9.2.0.4

   call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query    current  =
      rows

At this point I am just trying to figure out why the addition of the = buffer sort seems to cause increased cpu/elapsed time and exactly what = it means. I have checked this with multiple traces against the 9.2.0.4 = database and it is always the same cpu/elapsed time is up for this = query. This query runs millions of times a week and any increase in = time is significant.

Scott Gamble
Oracle DBA - ERP and DB Technology Engineering=20 Cardinal Health, Medical Products and Services
(847)-578-5673 scott.gamble_at_cardinal.com