DataGuard: verify recovery progress

From: Ivan Chow <ichow2_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:12:09 -0400

Hi,
I tried to verify if archived logs get applied correctly to my standby database via v$archived_log and v$archive_dest_status but they both returned different results.

>From the documentation:

v$archive_dest_status.APPLIED_SEQ#
NUMBER
Identifies the log sequence number of the most recent applied redo log received at the destination

v$archived_log.APPLIED
VARCHAR2(3)
(YES|NO) Indicates whether or not the archivelog has been applied to its corresponding standby database. YES indicates it has been applied; NO indicates it has not. The value is always NO for local destinations

SQL> select name,sequence#,archived,applied from v$archived_log;

NAME                                                SEQUENCE# ARC APP
-------------------------------------------------- ---------- --- ---

C:\ORACLE\ADMIN\PSTUR\RARCHDEST\ARC00878.001           878 YES YES
C:\ORACLE\ADMIN\PSTUR\RARCHDEST\ARC00879.001           879 YES YES
C:\ORACLE\ADMIN\PSTUR\RARCHDEST\ARC00880.001           880 YES YES
C:\ORACLE\ADMIN\PSTUR\RARCHDEST\ARC00881.001           881 YES YES

SQL> select dest_name,archived_seq#,applied_seq# from v$archive_dest_status;

DEST_NAME                      ARCHIVED_SEQ# APPLIED_SEQ#
------------------------------ ------------- ------------
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1                       560            0
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2                         0            0
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_3                         0            0
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_4                         0            0
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_5                         0            0
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_6                         0            0
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_7                         0            0
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_8                         0            0
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_9                         0            0
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_10                        0            0
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_11                      881          880

if v$archived_log.applied=YES for sequence#881, I would expect that v$archive_dest_status.applied_seq#=881 too, isn't it? Instead it reports that the max
sequence that has been applied is 880. Am I making the right comparision? Which view should I rely on?

DB: 9.2.0.4

thanks.

Ivan

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfeeŽ Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963