RE: RMAN backup to tape and blksize

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:38:38 -0400

Stephen,

It is not required. And it has nothing to do with the tape block size.

It has everything to do with the size of the blocks that Oracle creates before it sends them off to the media software. I think the default size is 64k (I could be wrong here - this is completely from memory).

By increasing the blksize param, Rman creates larger blocks of stuff. So, instead of sending 100 64K blocks, you could send 10 640K blocks. The tradeoff is less network io for more in-memory work. I remember testing this in the early 8.1 days, and found that the a blocksize of about 2million bytes was the most efficient for my machine - larger than that did not help. Smaller took more time to complete a backup.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional