OT: shell and output redirection

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 21:50:44 +0300

Hi!

When I redirect output from program a to program b using a shell pipe, when is the receiving procedure executed?

E.g.:

$ program1 | program2

When program1 outputs let say 3 rows after every millisecond and pipes them to program2, does program2 get executed on every output request? (what if there is a separate write request for every row?). Does program2 execute asynchronously or synchronously right after every write request on STDIO stream?
Does program1 pass control over to program2 and return processing only after program2 has completed it's actions?

These are the questions that bury my mind this lovely Friday evening.... Tanel.