RE: Datfiles/logfiles layout

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:33:44 -0400

Two little bits more. I managed to type "through" where I meant "throw" (as in throw them away), and another useful way to mitigate the contention of "lgwr" and "arch" is to use plenty of on line logs. Most systems now have plenty of acreage and limited spindle bandwidth mitigated by cache. You do "ok" as long as you don't overrun the cache. Likewise on line logs. Other than space, there is no significant penalty for having quite a few of them. (I'm a fan of 12, which is divisible by 2, 3, and 4 for potential ping-ponging.) You do not actually have to wait for "arch" to complete until "lgwr" wraps all the way around and wants to switch to the on line log you're still archiving. (You'll still get potentially delaying interference between "arch" reading and "lgwr" writing the same array unless you "ping-pong" them.)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Harvinder Singh Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 10:24 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Datfiles/logfiles layout

Hi,

We are setting up the oracle database machine and layout the files as following.=20
Env 10g on Win2k
2 cpu xeon processor box
2 raid array (raid 0, since this is testing) of 14 36G each and controller for each
Current layout:
Oracle software, control file, Rollback tablespace, temp tablespace, index tablespace(100GB file with extent sixe of 512MB) on 1 raid array (H:)
Table tablespace (100GB file with extent size of 1GB), redo logs on another array (I:)

We are testing insert performance where we are selecting from IOT table (on H:) and inserting into another table (on (I:) and its indexes on (H:)

Is this configuration looks ok or what are the changes that we can try?

Thanks
--Harvinder