Re: ENABLE NOVALIDATE behaviour bug

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:49:48 +0100

Note in-line.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st

This is probably nit-picking, but what purpose does step 2 (add constraint disable) serve?

>> Book-keeping - I didn't have anything subtle in
>> mind, and you're probably right that it's redundant

Wouldn't this be effectively the same? Or is there some subtlety that is going over my head?

    add column
    update the column where null in batches - committing     add the default
    add constraint enable novalidate
    update any columns still null
    validate the constraint
=20