Oracle iFS

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:12:21 -0800

Dear list,

Just asking for experiences using iFS, now called "Oracle Content Management SDK".

I'm casting about for ideas to manage IT documents. The three things that I see as
being necessary are these:

  1. Ability to easily organize a structure that can be easily drilled down into. ie. much like a directory structure
  2. Full text indexing
  3. Versioning - date and time of last edit, who edited the doc, and what changed.

Microsoft Indexing service is a no-brainer for 1 and 2, but I don't believe it does #3.

iFS seems a likely candidate, though I'm not sure how well it does #3.

Then there are commercial document management systems. Way too expensive and complex.

There are alternatives such as KnowledgeTree (open source) but probably just
as much work to setup as Oracle iFS.

Any good experiences out there with iFS for this type of usage?

TIA Jared