Re: pros and cons

From: <chris_at_thedunscombes.f2s.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:47:58 +0000

The idea is good and I've used it a lot. The only gotcha I'm aware of is if you ever have to create / re-create the index from scratch with data already in the table then the index build followed by enabling the PK constraint takes longer than just creating an old style PK index. This is because Oracle has to re-scan the whole table checking for duplicates when it enables the PK constraint.

HTH.   Chris

Quoting Sai Selvaganesan <ssaisundar_at_sbcglobal.net>:

> hi
>
> i read the follwing line in oracle 9i documentation,
>
> Unique and primary keys can use non-unique as well as unique indexes. They
> can even use just the first few columns of non-unique indexes.
>
> i am planning to use a primary key constraint enforced by the first few
> columns of a non-unique index.any feedback or advice or gotchas in having
> such a setup.
>
> thanks
> sai

Chris Dunscombe