RE: Compressing Rman Disk Backups

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:44:51 -0500

Dennis,

Thanks.

But in my case, a "little" additional disk 500 Gig for just one set of backups - never mind two!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Mercadante, Thomas F Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 8:28 AM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'

All,

After thinking about this more, we are considering two things:

Adding more disk space to the backup directory to be able to hold a full Rman backup, or going directly to tape.

I am no longer considering compressing the rman backups on disk. Only because, if we fall into a recovery scenario, I may not have room to completly uncompress the full rman backup. That would leave me with juggling a restore with uncompressing a file, letting rman work on it, wait for rman to finish with it, ask for the next file, compress the first and uncompress the second... talk about spinning plates. Just not a way to run a business.

So we are reviewing cost differences between adding disk and backing up to tape.

thanks again for all the replies.

From: Mercadante, Thomas F [mailto:thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us] Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 10:20 AM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: Compressing Rman Disk Backups

All,

I am attempting to perform Rman disk backups on a data warehouse. While the disk backup runs fine, the size of the output files are, of course, huge. What I would like to do is to pipe the output of the Rman backup while it is running to something like Gzip so that the file gets created compressed. My other option is to break the backup into a tablespace by tablespace multi-Rman run process and gzip or compress the files in between each step.

Anybody found a way to do this?

thanks

PS - Oracle 9.2.0.3 on Sun Unix.