Re: Compressing Rman Disk Backups

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 06:07:25 -0700

This functionality existed in RMAN9i, too (MetaLink note #167919.1).

Unfortunately, this functionality is only for "piping" the submission of RMAN commands into RMAN, not for the "piping" of backupsets or image-copies created by RMAN, which I believe was the original question of this thread...

I haven't been following this thread closely so I apologize if someone else has already addressed this, but...

<personal-belief>
...I personally don't think that Oracle is ever going to permit RMAN to write backupsets to named pipes or to the "stdout" output stream. In fact, the functionality of removing backupset files before writing to them is designed explicitly to prevent this from happening, is not a "bug", and will not be "corrected" in future. Now, I'm just dying to find out if I'm wrong already with RMAN10g... :-)

The reason is commercial -- I think that part of Oracle's agreement with tape-management software vendors is that there will be only two ways to store a backupset or image-copy with RMAN: DISK or SBT. They made this agreement in order to make RMAN a viable product; RMAN would not be viable without the support of tape-management software vendors, and those vendors won't put forth the effort to support RMAN unless they can make money from it. Allowing piping would permit a third method of taking backups that would completely negate the investment made by tape-management software vendors to develop an RMAN interface, or at least give customers a viable way to get backups to tape without buying the interface adapter. And you all know how much money they make from that interface, which is why everyone is trying to do piping...

Just my $0.02...
</personal-belief>