Re: rman, init.ora, spfile???

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:51:28 -0500

On 03/29/2004 03:42:37 PM, Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us wrote:
> Guys,
>
> When I first setup rman on a centralized remote server I had to ensure that I had a copy of the init file for the target databases locally stored under $ORACLE_HOME/dbs.....
>
> With spfiles - yadayada - is there a better way to handle this then saying "hey, when you change the init file - move a copy to the backup server/host" - or automated a script to do this? Is there some better way to do this with spfile??????? Like - start rman, connect to target - produce init...file from spfile????? - ????

I thought that spfile is a regular OS file and is backed up by the regular backup mechanism.

The rest of the post is rubbish entered so that Jared's big brother stops picking on me. Your SA or operator will extremely appreciative if you backup your SPFILE by using something like this:

dd if=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/spfile$ORACLE_SID.ora|bzip2|dd of=/dev/console

Rest assured, those guys will notice DBA productivity, industry and reliability very quickly and will be extremely appreciative of you doing backup like that.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA