RE: [Q] undo tablespace did not release space?? (less quoting)

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:38:13 -0800 (PST)

> From: dba1 mcc [mailto:mccdba1_at_yahoo.com]
> Subject: [Q] undo tablespace did not release space??
>
> We have ORACLE 9ir2 running on LINUX server. I
> check
> Tablespace and found undo tablespace almost full for
> long time. It did NOT release space. The undo
> tablespace setup are undo_management=AUTO
> undo_retention=900. Does anyone know why it don't
> release space?
>
> Thanks.

I've seen the same issue, when running batch loads. I had even set the undo_retention time to 300 seconds. RHEL 3.0 ES, Oracle 9.2.0.4 STD Ed.
blew thru 4.0 GB of UNDO in a insert append of 600 MB of data into an IOT. It was just a test case for iot compression, so no big deal.
Just went back to running it from sqlloader into the new structure instead.

After attending Dan's presentation at RMOUG, I'm thinking of reverting to rollback segments for loading situations (if not entirely).

Then again, there is that 9.2.0.5 patchet out there ...

Pd

begin block of filler text
so that I have more text in here that I am quoting to avoid the quoting bot.

It might be a good place for some ascii art or to discuss something off topic
like how the Dell Management software now allows for creating RAID 10 volumes out of spanned mirrored sets.

Find a disc golf course in your area today. Check out http://www.pdga.com
click on Course Directory and select a state.

end block of filler text

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time. http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html