Re: Partitioning Question and FKs to Non-Partitiond Tables

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:27:20 -0000

Notes in-line

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland http://www.index.is/oracleday.php June 2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

:
: I've been working thru partitioning issues and have a question on a
specific topic.
:
: Guidance would be more than welcome!
:
: FACT) I have a natural way to partition many of the data tables in the
application. I have a partitioning data column in those tables. I'll call it segment_value and it's part of the natural primary key.
: There's no other reasonable way to partition things that would also make
sense from a maintenance perspective.
:
: FACT) However, segment_value is not particularly unique, the other primary
key column in the partitioned tables is unique by itself. So, I've put segment_value as the second column of the primary key, not the first column.
:
: BELIEF) I think that was a good thing to do. But I could be wrong.

    May or may not be the case.

    If the users frequently query using the unique bit,     but not using the segment value, then you do need     to have the unique bit at the front, so that the cost     of hitting every partition is reduced.

    The benefit of having the segment value at the front     is that you may get some benefit from compressing     the indexes.

    Then you have to consider the frequency and scale     of queries like:

        segment = .. and uniquebit between
        segment between .. and uniquebit between
        segment between .. and uniquebit = ..

:
: FACT) Some reference tables should not be partitioned because, well, they
shouldn't be.
: They are used equally across all partitions.
:
: SAD FACT) I will need to load, flush, and re-load some partitions. The
exchange option looks promising for this.
:
: SAD FACT) I'm short-handed on my project and short on schedulable
down-time, too.
:
: BELIEF) Local indexes on partitioned tables make it easier to take care of
the above sad fact, with minimal impact on people making use of the other partitions. Global indexes slow some maintenance activities down.
:

    See my note www.dbazine.com/jlewis17.shtml     on the nastier side effects of using exchange     partition, though. But in general your belief     is sound.

: CONCLUSION) Use local indexes where possible.
:
: QUESTION)
: When I do an FK from a partitioned table to a non-partitioned table, it
won't have segment_value in the primary key. So, the FK index wouldn't naturally have segment_value in it.
: That would seem to make it a global index.
:

    A local index does not need to include the     partitioning key. It is local by virtue of the     fact that each partition of the table automatically     has a 'private' partition of the index. Every entry     in a specific index partition is guaranteed to point     to the same table partition.

    If you have a query like:

        foreign_key_value = 'xxx'
    and segment_value = 'ttt'

    Oracle knows that it can hit partition P88     of the foreign_key_value index because it     knows that segment_value 'ttt' belongs in     partition P88 of the table.

: Any way out of this, to end up with local indexes? I haven't (yet) tried
to see if I can get away with stuffing segment_value on the back of the same index used by the foreign key and partition by that. Not a lot of hope, but I might get lucky. Any comments before I spend the time to test out the idea?
:
: