Re: LMT SYSTEM Tablespace? - SUMMARY

From: Tim Johnston <tjohnston_at_quallaby.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:21:56 -0500

Hodgkinson, Stephen wrote:

>When talking about the package - tablespace_migrate_to_local he discourages
>it use and says:
>
>' Not really, a migrated tablespace won't have the bitmaps at the "front"
>like a
>natural one would. '
>
>Can anybody tell me what that means? - "bitmaps at the front".

He's talking about the actual bitmap Oracle creates for the extent map... When you create a tablespace as LMT, the bitmap is located in the very beginning of the file... When you migrate an existing tablespace, the bitmap is located whereever there is free space in the file...

As to why that's a problem, I'm not sure... Based on Tom's comments I'd guess that there might be a performance penalty if the bitmap is not located at the front of the file??? I googled a little but didn't see anything quickly...

Tim