RE: Table compression

From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <rshamsud_at_jcpenney.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:03:33 -0600

Index compression ? These are the two words making my days hell for the past couple of weeks.

We are in 8.1.7.4 and rely heavily on index compression due to table size & data properties. Index compression has a bug. CR undo applied to a compressed index leaf block can corrupt the in-memory buffer throwing ORA-600[6017]. Problem is that we were not able to reproduce the error at will and this error happens sporadically. After applying few costly debug parameters, just yesterday we identified this as bug 2954868 fixed in 9.2.0.5. Will apply backport fix soon..

If you have high concurrency environment(in the order of 1000s of users ) and if you use index compression heavily, you might want to take a look at this bug..

Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA
This is only my opinion..Does not bind my employer etc..etc..
From: Khedr, Waleed [mailto:Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM] Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 4:05 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'

Actually reading from compressed tables is faster than reading from non-compressed in systems that don't have their CPU's 100 percent busy.

Since the segment size becomes 30% of the original size, the system requires less IO to read the data.

There is a very little CPU overhead needed to decompress the data.

Compression is done by building lookup tables for repeating values on the block level.

Regards,

Waleed

From: Khedr, Waleed [mailto:Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM] Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 3:48 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'

I use it, works great, 60% savings.

Once the table/partition gets flagged "compress", any direct load will be compressed.

You will get ora-600 if trying to do parallel direct load.

Also can't add a column to a compressed table.

Waleed