Re: Possibility of changing Rowid because of UPDATE operations

From: Tim Johnston <tjohnston_at_quallaby.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:10:27 -0500

And, partitioned tables if you update the partition key...

SQL> insert into tim_temp values (1, 99);

1 row created.

SQL> select rowid from tim_temp;

ROWID

AAABrrAADAAAAFZAAA

SQL> update tim_temp set col2 = 199 where col1 = 1;

1 row updated.

SQL> select rowid from tim_temp;

ROWID

AAABrtAADAAAAFjAAA

SQL> Mladen Gogala wrote:

>On 03/16/2004 01:52:49 PM, Prasada.Gunda_at_hartfordlife.com wrote:
>

>>Hello All,
>>
>>Do you think of any situation where Oracle would change the rowid(or move
>>the row that causes rowid change) under the hood in 8i/9i or even in 10g if
>>there are simply Update operations happen on a row?
>>
>>I know that the Rowid of the row is not going to change when there is a row
>>chaining/migration. So, this is not an issue. And, I understand that the
>>Rowid would change in other situations like row is deleted/inserted, table
>>is exported/imported, truncated/reloaded or alter table..move and other
>>similar operations.
>>
>>But, I am only concerned with Update operations. Even in IOT and Cluster
>>tables, I believe Oracle would maintain the same rowid if there is an
>>Update to a row.
>>
>>Please let me know your thoughts/suggestions.
>>
>>Ours is a DW environment and would like to use the rowids to identify
>>changes in the source table where there is no primary/unique key.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>
>>Best Regards,
>>Prasad
>>

>Justin told you about the IOT's. Furthermore, if you have clustered tables and if the cluster key is
>updated, row is physically moved from one place to another, thereby changing the rowid.

Regards,
Tim Johnston
Tel: 978-322-4226
Fax: 978-322-4100