RE: dbms_stats.gather_schema_

From: Justin Cave (DDBC) <jcave_at_ddbcinc.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:48:01 -0700

Do you need to have Oracle Parallel Server for parallel operations to work in 8.1.7? I seem to recall having no problems with parallel statistics gathering in 8.1.7, but I had OPS installed.

Do you really need to gather histograms on every column? That seems a bit excessive and probably is a substantial portion of your running time.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC <http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Paula Winkler Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 4:37 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: dbms_stats.gather_schema_

Hi listers,

I am trying to improve our statistics gathering process which takes several hours. Does the degree parameter work in the below dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats call in an Oracle 8.1.7.4 database on HPUX 11i? Oracle seems to ignore the degree specification and run serially.

   dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats (

      NULL,   --ownname VARCHAR2,
      20,   --estimate_percent NUMBER DEFAULT NULL,
      FALSE,   --block_sample BOOLEAN DEFAULT FALSE,

'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 25', --method_opt VARCHAR2 DEFAULT 'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 1',
4, --degree NUMBER DEFAULT NULL,
'ALL', --granularity VARCHAR2 DEFAULT 'DEFAULT',
TRUE --cascade BOOLEAN DEFAULT FALSE );

Thank you in advance for your help!

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mailtag_us/*http://mail.yahoo.com> - More reliable, more storage, less spam