RE: Unix script to check database status

From: Michael Milligan <Michael.Milligan_at_ingenix.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:08:26 -0600

What if the instance can't start?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacques Kilchoer [mailto:Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com] Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 4:33 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Unix script to check database status

Sure, once you have connected to the database you could get some additional information via queries if you want. But if all you want to know is "Is the database available to users?" then it should be sufficient to use SQL*Plus from a client machine to connect and disconnect.

recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.