Re: query for top 10 sql? the standard

From: Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco <jreyes_at_dazasoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:15:14 -0400

It dependes, if you want the top 10, or the first 10 sql. In the first situation you have to do a specific query (maybe using analytic functions) , to get them.
This is a query and will be almost always different to any other sql, because it depends in you
table and database structure.

Now about the first 10 sql, you have a hint to ask the database get only the first 10 and send to
you as soon as possible /*+ FIRST_ROWS(10) */

Out of that hint, I think you will not find a standard, because every query is very specific.

> Ryan,
>
> "Top ten" what? I think that's why there are different queries out there.
> It all depends on what you care about and I doubt that any specific query
> is right or wrong - just a different view or definition of "top ten".
>

> "Ryan"
> <ryan.gaffuri_at_cox. To:
<oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
> net> cc:
> Sent by: Subject: query for top 10
sql?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
> If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
> In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the
sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999.
> Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to
Internet e-mail for messages of this kind.
> Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of Transurban Infrastructure Developments Limited and CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by them.