Re: Maximum height of an Oracle B-tree index

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:31:25 +1000

Hi Jared/Tin and all,

I believe that was precisely how Steve managed it, very small block size, large pctfree, a bit of cleverness and heaps of storage (until it ran out). He mentioned it btw at the Hotsos tuning class in Sydney last year.

So far the best I've heard privately is height of 6.

Can anyone do better ?

Cheers

Richard

  My thoughts mirrored Tims.

  Though after seeing Jonathan Lewis force a very small index   to a blevel of 3 with the clever use of data and storage parms   and who knows what else, I decided there was a distinct possibility   that I was wrong.

  I've refrained from asking Steve how he did this, but if I see him   at dinner this evening, I will find out and report back. :)

  Jared

  Live from HOTSOS

       Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
         03/10/2004 06:08 AM
         Please respond to oracle-l

                To:        <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
                cc:
                Subject:        Re: Maximum height of an Oracle B-tree index

  It would take a heckuva lot of space, even with DB_BLOCK_SIZE = 512 and   PCTFREE=99 on the index, to get BLEVEL over 10...

  Hat's off to Steve on getting it to 20+...