RE: Views and Tables

From: Michael Kline <mkline1_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:54:29 -0500

I'll have to check it out.

Fortunately all partitions use the same naming convention. They are working on January data, so the partition is name_200401, etc.

The view can set the date, so that queries won't go over multiple partitions.

Views would allow them to work on the partitions, but not make them available until they are done.

Some partitions are over 200 million rows.

If there is only one criteria for "readers", views alone might be enough.

They are supposed to do some requirements planning.

This department is usually working the data so hard, fast and furious that they don't get much time to do much "extra".

They have been so happy I've come along.

Michael Alan Kline, Sr.
www.b2bsol.com
804-744-1545

From: Stephane Faroult [mailto:sfaroult_at_oriole.com] Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 3:36 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

That's using a power hammer to prepare powder sugar. The initial mistake is to create the views not under the reporting user, but the schema owner - and GRANT SELECT on the views, and the views only, to the reporting user.

SF