Re: Unix script to check database status

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:19:42 -0500

On 03/09/2004 04:09:46 PM, Branimir Petrovic wrote:
> Must raise my voice in dissagreement: Perl is not the only (nor is it the
> best)
> choice for decent and powerful cros-platform scripting.
>
> I'd claim that: Python (with cx_Oracle module) rulez!
> (Python == (clean, powerful, readable))
>
> Branimir
>
> P.S. The above is not a flame, but a fact of life ;-)

Well, that may be true. Do you python heretics have anything like CPAN? (CPAN = Comprehensive Perl Archive Network, a huuuuge library of various, very useful modules?) Does python interpreter contain a little report-writer? How able is python's regular expressions parser and can it do everything that perl can? I'm asking because I want to learn python as it is frequently used to create nice GUI interfaces. Most of Red Hat "wizards" are python envelopes of shell commands. I've also heard that it is much simpler to learn then perl.

Ite missa est, perl is the best.