RE: Partitioned Indexes question

From: Lim, Binley <Binley.Lim_at_NBNZ.CO.NZ>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:11:56 +1300

If an index is partitioned on the same column(s) as the table, then the index is local. If you partition on different columns, then the index is global, and you have to specify the range in the index-create statement.

Local indexes follow the partitioning scheme of the tables(!), but you can only do range-partitioning on global indexes. These are in the docs, but probably not worded, or located where you were expecting to find them. In general, the partitioning error-messages are also quite helpful:

	global partition by hash(col_a)
                                      *
	ERROR at line 2:
	ORA-14005: missing RANGE keyword

You can only do "range" at the partitioning, and not sub-partitioning level:

	subpartition by range(col_b)
	*
	ERROR at line 8:
	ORA-00922: missing or invalid option

This communication is confidential and may contain privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or retain it. If you have received it in error please immediately notify me by return email and delete the emails.
Thank you.