Re: How much memory takes roles, is important to limit their number?

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:41:27 +0100

Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco wrote:

> Hi, somebody know why there is parameter MAX_ENABLED_ROLES
> The first impression I got, is because they take too much memory, so is
> better limit them.
> Is there a way to measure the amount of memory they take.
> ( or "optimize" them??? if this really means something)
> Thank you :)

As far as memory consumption goes, roles wouldn't be my first worry. I agree with you that a huge number of roles is not a good thing, but not for the same reason. More basically, you very quickly begin to lose track of whom is allowed to do what when you have too many roles. One caveat though (got caught once, a long time ago - don't know if it's still true, probably), if you have one single admin account which is used for everything including creating roles, don't forget that a role is given (and by default enabled) to its creator, so your admin account may quickly bump into the limit.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Limited