RE: 0% data loss setup ?

From: Prem Khanna J <jprem_at_kssnet.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:14:34 +0900

Thanx a lot Tim for your well said reply about RMAN. of course , it will be there in my B-R schedule .

Thanx for your input Peter .

Just now , i was going thro' the MAA doc on OTN. As per the doc, the requirement for MAA is :

	1.Real Application Clusters
	2.Redundant middle or application server tier
	3.Redundant network infrastructure
	4.Redundant storage infrastructure

If i put this list and the $$ it's going to cost in front of my management, i would sure expect them to come down on availability ; )

Thanks again for all your inputs which helped me to present something to the management. Let me get back to you in case of any further help .

Regards,
Prem.

<Peter.McLarty>
  Hi Prem
  If you want 0% downtime then you can only do that with RAC,   but that depends on your application design and technology.   Any other failover HA solution has possibly a small downtime window,   minutes or seconds to drop and reconnect users to the alternate instance
  and may roll back some transactions, but these are uncommitted   so you are safe there .So for a better design of your maybe HA solution
  you might need to better define your requirements </Peter.McLarty>

<Tim Gorman>
  Prem,
  0% data loss is not the same as 99.9999% availability. In   fact, it is quite different...

  Use RMAN. Buy sufficient backup media capacity and integrate   everything together. There is no better feeling than to find out about a
  recoverability problem when you are not in a recovery situation.   Just my $0.02... -Tim
</Tim Gorman>