Re: Hardware Architecture.. please advise

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:15:33 -0800

There is much to be said for that.

When upgrading our SAP HW last year, we made a case for a test system that mirrors our production system.

2 Quad CPU Dell 6450s with Veritas Cluster System and SAP mirror our production system.

This is where we try patches, upgrades to ancillary software, patch things, etc.

It's where I purposely crashed Oracle/SAP last week testing a newly published vulnerabilty.

You can't do those types of tests on your development or QA systems. So if you can get a real test system with your new HW, go for it.

Jared

Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
 03/05/2004 07:39 PM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Hardware Architecture.. please advise

Valerie,

I'd say that your S/A is trying to save you money, and responsibly too. He/she can start you off on one server, and if it makes sense, procure a second server if it is needed.

But even if you were procuring (and licensing) two servers initially, there
is a lot to be said for placing both tiers on one server anyway. One of the
servers could be designated "production" and the other one "test". The value of this is having at least one independent environment for testing, that can be brought down, etc without affecting the production environment.
I'm not talking about just application QA testing, I'm also talking about hardware testing, OS upgrade/patch testing, Oracle upgrade/patch testing, and the like. None of that is something to do for the first time in production...

Hope this helps...

-Tim

on 3/5/04 6:15 AM, WEBBER, VALERIE at Vwebber_at_Valspar.com wrote:

> I am designing a new data warehouse and will be using Discoverer and
Portals
> on the Apps server/middle tier. My sys admin wants to purchase the new
HP