Consulting work, was Re[5]: Oracle 911 Article

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 11:06:07 -0500

Saturday, March 6, 2004, 7:45:21 AM, Nuno Souto (dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au) wrote: NS> I'm told that's usually the case with consulting firms. NS> If not in straight moolah, at least in perks.

I don't recall many perks in the true sense of the word. One of the best "perks", if I dare use that term, was that I was allowed a great deal of freedom in how/when/where I got the work done. Weeks would go buy without my seeing my boss in person. Sometimes we'd talk more often on the phone.

I used to spend a lot of time with clients, and not just with their technical people. I once spent many days with the accounting staff in a city water department, plumbing the depths of their labor-distribution system. It was old, undocumented, COBOL code, and I got to play archeologist. It was great fun, and even they learned a few things they hadn't realized about what was really going on with the system.

Some days I miss all that sort of thing.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com