Re: optimizer_index_cost_adj and optimizer_index_caching

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:39:55 -0500

One should decide on an appropriate hardware before buying it.

On 03/05/2004 05:29:30 PM, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> Ideally, you should calibrate your hardware before running
> the database to get a baseline value for o_i_c_a (It looks as
> if the pacakge on www.iozone.com might be the ideal tool)
> and then design your database perfectly. --

Design database perfectly? Now, here is a good SF if I've ever seen one. The only database that can be designed perfectly is the database which doesn't change over time and which doesn't have to satisfy ever more expanding, changing and mutating set of requirements. In other words, the only perfectly designed database is a dead one. The only good database is a dead database.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA