concerning hard parses

From: <ryan.gaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:26:42 -0500

I ran a test with bind variables from sqlplus. I am not sure why Im getting a hard parse.

  1. create table myTable as select * from dba_objects;
  2. I then ran a script to tell me how many parses my current session has.
  3. I then initialized a bind variable with 'test_bind.sql' and ran the following query from test_select.sql

select object_name
from mytable
where object_name like :object_name
and rownum < 2

4. I then re-initialized the bind variable to a different value and ran it again. I got a hard parse. Shouldn't I get a soft parse since I'm using bind variables?

so that its readable. I attached the results and I attached the 3 scripts I used. I hope this is ok...