RE: Re[2]: Oracle 911 Article - Silver Bullet

From: Davey, Alan <Alan.Davey_at_encodasystems.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:33:54 -0700

And if you happen to miss hitting the werewolf with your silver bullet, its likely to get pretty angry with you.

Alan Davey
Senior Analyst/Project Leader
Oracle 9i OCA; 3/4 OCP
w) 973.267.5990 x458
w) 212.295.3458

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Rognes, Sten Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 1:07 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: RE: Re[2]: Oracle 911 Article

>> There are silver bullets indeed. BTW, I do lay claim to being one
>> of the first people to commonly use this term to describe unreachable
>> "holy grails". It was used a lot by Ingres marketeers and I got the
>> trait from them. It was out of favour for a long time but since I've
>> used it again in c.d.o.s. a coupla years ago, it came back into favour.

I first saw the silver bullet term used in Brooks' The Mythical Man-Month (1974) in the "No silver bullet - essence and accident" essay to describe the "quick relieves" approach in this context. I would not be surprised if that's were the Ingres marketers got the term from.. ?

Sten

"This information in this e-mail is intended solely for the addressee and
may contain information which is confidential or privileged.  Access to this
e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error,
please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the
information. Also, please notify the sender that you have received this
e-mail in error, and delete the copy you received."