RE: optimizer_index_cost_adj and optimizer_index_caching

From: Joze Senegacnik <JozeS_at_hermes-plus.si>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:52:42 +0100

Sorry for the delay in my response. I am just packing things as I start my journey to Hotsos Symposium in Dallas in 8 hours and I will try to catch some sleep.

As Wolfgang already mentioned I have personally used system stats on 4 sites after the migration to 9i. I had also a positive feedback from several DBAs on Metalink when I suggested them to gather system statistics. An important fact is that system stats turns on the new costing model that includes also the cost of CPU processing. I haven't set the O_I_C and O_I_C_A on this sites (they have default values) but I plan to do some investigation in this area. As Jonathan Lewis always says that we have to tell the truth to the CBO so setting O_I_C to the value of BCHR (buffer cache hit ratio) would be a good idea. Setting of O_I_C_A is good for 8i but for 9i an investigation would be beneficial as well. According to my experience from those 4 sites almost all problems vanished when we gathered system statistics. The problematic statements where those that were specially tuned for RBO and we had to tune them separately (at 2 sites we also switched from RBO to CBO). According to the Metalink note you can even achieve 8.1.7 behavior when you set MREADTIM = 1.2 * SREADTIM and MBRC=8, but I haven't tested this. And finally I haven't heard for a negative feedback till now and this counts as well. But as usual happens in real life also the system stats is not solving all problems.

Regards,
Joze