Re: Parsing question

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:16:30 -0700

Analyzing objects invalidates all execution plans which are dependent on those objects ( unless you set no_invalidate=>true in oracle 9 ) forcing the statement to go through the full parse again with the possibility of e different execution plan as a result of the new statistics.

At 12:45 PM 3/4/2004, you wrote:
>Hello my learned friends,
>
>I read Bjorn Engsig's paper over a huge plate of sushi for lunch.
>Refreshing memory and opening your sinuses never hurts. However, I have
>a question about this statement:
>
>"During the first execute of a SQL statement, the optimization takes
>place, i.e. Oracle finds the best path to access data. The access plan,
>along with the SQL statement and it's parse tree is stored in the
>library cache. Finally, the SQL statement is executed, and for queries,
>the resulting rows are then fetched. Once a statement is parsed and
>executed, it can efficiently be executed again, completely avoiding the
>parse and optimization steps."
>
>My question is: If a statement is stored with the execution plan, then
>if the statement is still in cache when the stats change, doesn't the
>plan change? I deal with changing execution plans daily, and my first
>response is "how fresh are the stats". 95% of the time, an analyze
>fixes the problem and the plan changes for the exact same statement.
>
>What am I missing? Thanks everyone
>

>Lisa Koivu
>

>"The sender believes that this E-Mail and any attachments were free of any
>virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This message
>and its attachments could have been infected during transmission. By
>reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts
>full responsibility for taking proactive and remedial action about viruses
>and other defects. The sender's business entity is not liable for any loss
>or damage arising in any way from this message or its attachments."

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA
Centrex Consulting Corporation
http://www.centrexcc.com