attn Ryan Gaffuri,Kathy Regarding 9iAS

From: Database Admin <dba_at_magma.co.in>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:56:59 +0530 (IST)

Hi,
Some time back someof you asked me to send the cook book for loading 9iAS on Redhat 7.1 ,so this is it Plz be carefull while using the said method though I use this for Prod server setup but still take care.Sorry for the delay you knw this CTO's.I would recommend you folks to read the install doc at the first cd of the pack also.

RAM REQUIREMENT

The lowest I did it was for 256 MB RAM
Swap twice RAM
Redhat 7.1
/boot =>23M
/     =>2048(This can go down)
/usr  =>2048(This can go down)
/var  =>1024

Choose graphics manipulation and KDE.

I guess rest u guys know so I am jumping to 9iAS installation.

9iAS Release 1

login as root
cat sem (from /proc/sys/kernel)
put (If your values are lower than those below)
$echo 500 64000 1000 32768 >sem

alternatively you can make this changes permanent by the following add this line to your /etc/sysctl.conf
kernel.sem=500 64000 1000 32768 <=This line needs to be added if you shmmax and shmmni values are less than 1073741824 and 4096 add
kernel.shmmax=1073741824
kernel.shmmni=4096
In order to effect this change immediately from root
$sysctl -p

check if your host file is ok.Its in /etc

Create User and Group

$groupadd dba
$groupadd oinstall
$useradd -g oinstall -G dba oraias
$passwd oraias
$chown -R oraias.oinstall /<u r ias filesystem>
$mkdir /var/opt/oraias
$chown oraias.dba /var/opt/oraias
$chmod 755 /var/opt/oraias

log in as oraias user
then
$cp .bash_profile .bash_profile.backup
$vi .bash_profile

then add the following entries
ORACLE_OWNER=oraias;export ORACLE_OWNER
ORACLE_HOME=<home_path><for me it is "/oraias/oracle/product/1.0.2">;export
ORACLE_SID=<sid name>(I dont knw why this is reqd I tried without it
installation failed).
PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
     :/usr/bin
     :/usr/local/bin
     :/usr/X11R6/bin
     :/oraias/oracle/product/1.0.2/6iserver/vbroker/bin
     :/oraias/oracle/product/1.0.2/6iserver/discwb4/bin:.;export PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=
     :/oraias/oracle/product/1.0.2/6iserver/lib
     :/oraias/oracle/product/1.0.2/Apache/jdk/jre/lib/i386/native_threads
     :/usr/X11R6/lib
     :$ORACLE_HOME/lib:.;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

save and exit

The other utils you would require

you would require
1)java (jdk) available from www.blackdown.org I use this one jdk118-v3-glibc-2.1.3.tar.bz2 Once you have got this ,
login as root
copy it to /usr/local
then
$bzip2 -dc jdk118-v3-glibc-2.1.3.tar.bz2 |tar xf - - C /usr/local
then create a link
$ln -s /usr/local/jdj118_v3 /usr/local/java
then come out of root
login as oraias
startup the Xserver
$startx

open two term windows
get ready with the six cd's of the pack
from any one term window
login as root
then
$mount /mnt/cdrom

from the second term window
$bash /mnt/cdrom/runInstaller

now dont start cursing me it does take some time. After a while OUI starts
Enter oinstall for group
(remember Portal is not supported in Linux)

Error

While linking you will get ins_plsql.mk file error. Go to
$cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
$vi genclntsh

remove "-Zdefs" make it "<space>"
save and exit
$bash genclntsh

come back to OUI
hit "Retry"
db cache may fail ,This you can configure later.The program may become irresponsive for somtime.

Configuring iAS

$cd $ORACLE_HOME/Apache/Apache/conf
$vi +228 httpd.conf

hash that line(libexec/mod_rewrite.so)
hash line 232 (libexec/mod_suth_dbm_so)
$cp libXm.so.2.1 to /usr/local/X11R6

from $ORACLE_HOME/6iserver/lib/stubs
$close all iAS applications
$relink all

login as root
(Here you might require openmotif 2.30,This is readily avilable) copy this to /tmp
unzip it
it will create a "usr" dir
then
$cp -r /tmp/usr /

it will ask for confirmation for one file overwrite enter "Y"

For Configuring appreance of the applet ,you can modify
$ORACLE_HOME/forms60/server/formsweb.cfg

Hope,I could be of some help.This process hjelped me install and run 4 servers all in production in my place.
Thanks
Deep