Re: Using a DNS alias for Oracle Names Server

From: Stephen Evans <evans036_at_mc.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:07:19 -0500

jared,

we do this all the time.

all access thru our onames & ldap servers are done via cnames.

we actually have two cnames: one for the primary & the other for the secondary.

we have also changed the value of these cnames multiple times as we migrate our directory servers from one machine to another.

hope this helps,

steve

Jared.Still_at_radisys.com
03/01/2004 01:59 PM
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l_at_freelists.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Using a DNS alias for Oracle Names Server

Hi list,

A server here that houses a secondary ONAMES server has been targeted for decommission.

The simple fix would seem to be to setup a DNS alias (CNAME) for the box.

However, I have not done this before, and would like to test it.

It would be nice to avoid a full test scenario ( all apps that hit it, etc.).

If someone here has some experience or knowledge with this, it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jared