Re: query slow in 9i, but not slow in 8i

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:46:49 -0500

I once read an article where a dba said he saved his company > $500 000 because he reduced a query time from 2 seconds to < 1 second. I think it was a help desk query. I guess they multiplied how much people make by the time saved and said it was a productivity gain. I thought BS because I'm pretty sure that 1 second saved isn't going to be used elsewhere (but now I do it all the time at my work :-)). But I think you could set up a 9i instance and do what you're thinking and measure the time diff and puke out the costs. If your program is a batch maybe you won't save anything to specific users but you will benefit by scalability on the server.

Mike
ganstadba_at_hotmail.com