Re: RE: query slow in 9i, but not slow in 8i

From: Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:14:17 +1100

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Transurban Infrastructure Developments Limited and CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by them.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am unfortunately speaking from heresay, however I heard once that having histograms all over the place can slow down parsing as they have to be inspected. I was left with the impression that unless the data is skewed enough to warrant a histogram then there actually is a negative cost associated with having too many histograms.

Surely someone on this list can either support me or shoot me down on this one?

                      Wolfgang Breitling
                      <breitliw_at_centrexc        To:       oracle-l_at_freelists.org
                      c.com>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: RE: query slow in 9i, but not slow in 8i
                      oracle-l-bounce_at_fr
                      eelists.org

                      02/03/2004 12:04
                      Please respond to
                      oracle-l

As long as it works for you - nothing.

However - to quote myself:
"Histograms are like drugs – An overdose [of histograms] can kill [performance]."

And like drugs, the practice may seem harmless and you get used to it, until one day ...

"It seems easier just to ..." is never a good enough reason for me to do - or not do - something.

At 04:14 PM 3/1/2004, you wrote:
>If you have the window and use monitoring what is wrong with getting
>histograms on every table? I'm doing all new development with new queries
>getting developed everyday. It seems easier just to put histograms on
>everything. I have the window to do this overnight and will have it when
we
>go live?

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA