Re: [Q] wait time on stat

From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 06:29:26 -0800

Mladen,

Here I will humbly disagree with you. It is not fault of Windows but the person who created the database and defined tiny size log files while creation. If he used custom database option he can define whatever size he wants. These options are same for both Windows and Unix.

Regards
Rafiq

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:54:26 -0800

Defaulty Windows installation usually creates log files of 20M. The person who posted the problem explicitely mentioned Windows platform. Size of 20M is so small that the database will start to checkpoint like crazy when you start using it for real. The number that I gave is my rule of thumb. It's not to big to frighten the boss (alltogether just a gig or two) and it's big enough to solve checkpointing problem. This rule of thumb number is derived from experience. Yes, of course, I am guessing. There is not enough information to investigate the problem. I believe that he was asking us to guess. I did.

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net