Re: [oracle-l] rman catalog considerations

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:04:22 -0700

In this ³mutual supporting² configuration,you donıt need additional instances just to house the ³recovery catalog² database? Your idea to house them inside the ³business² instances is quite viable, as the RMAN ³recovery catalog² is a very low-usage, low-traffic database application.

May I ask a quick question: why do you need to have a "recovery catalog" database at all?

Running RMAN in "nocatalog" mode has exactly the same functionality as running it with a "recovery catalog" database tacked on. Reasons for using a ³recovery catalog² database instead of NOCATALOG:

NOCATALOG isnıt as risky as one might think. It is easy and very natural to be super-paranoid about controlfile backups ‹ flying NOCATALOG airlines just gives another reason. Iıve always taken controlfile backups redundantly during backups (one copy to disk as well as tape), and 9iıs CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP just makes it easier.

I think most people assume that a ³recovery catalog² is required or even a strongly recommended part of RMAN. In reality, it is just an option that is available for very specific reasons. And, like many such options, it comes at a cost in extra complexity:

If you donıt intend to store recovery information for very long (i.e. Less than 30 days), then you should really consider NOCATALOG.

Just my $0.02 (let the stone-throwing begin)...