RE: [oracle-l] A few rman questions

From: Ruth Gramolini <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:14:49 -0500

Dan,

Robert Freeman has written a great rman book but I think the best place to start is with the Backup and Recovery Manual which is part of the Oracle documentation. In order to do point in time or complete recovery you need to have rman backups and controlfile backups. You can set up you rman configuration files to to autocontrolfile backups at the end of every backup and this will make a copy of your controlifle to a place you specify as the last step as well as the normal backup of the controlfile which is contained in a level 0 rman backup. With this feature, the controlfile which has the necessary info can be restored. Have a look at rman configurations in the docs.

Good luck,
Ruth