RE: Analyze script written by Connor McDonald

From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:52:05 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Lisa,

That'll teach you for using stuff written in 2002, especially when its based on a script written in 2001 :-)

Seriously though, I'd take a (very) thorough look at the driving select statement. I put it together like that because at the time I was at a client with tens of thousands of segments so queries to DBA_SEGMENTS just took forever, so I delved into the underlying view definition to get some speedup.

The DBA_SEGMENTS definition is one of those things that changes *very* frequently (as our good friends at Oracle add IOT's, compressed table, partitioned domain objects etc etc etc etc etc).

The basic concepts within the script remain valid, but you might want to put together a more "version-robust" query to DBA_SEGMENTS/TABLES/INDEXES etc.

hth
connor

Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions" - available now
web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net

email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish, and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"