[oracle-l] Re: Uniform extents

From: <mkline1_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:00:18 +0000

We export from prod and import subsets into "test". There are about 5-6 test databases, so the names need to pretty much be the same or we'd have to create all of those by hand.

I have found that some of my candidates are LOCAL but USER, NOT UNIFORM, thank goodness.

The major concerns were the partitions and they ARE the same on both sides. One of them this month, one months data, was 186 million rows. We use export policy and don't export these, but we import to create the first extent on the way back in. This allows the 40GB partition tablespace in PROD to be collapsed to 105 MEG in TEST and that's why we can fit it in a much smaller space. But this still means the tablespaces need to have the same name.

It also appears some of the others may be empty and that is why this problem has not surfaced sooner. I've been through three refreshes so far and this one hit me with about 2-3 tablespaces that didn't fit.

The INFORMATICA tablespace was unused on all other test databases and was one that nailed me this go around.

Fortunately the "populating" step was repeatable, so we saved what we had to, purged the rest, then did the recreate only having to move like 1 table and 1 index back.

I totally drop all tables before population, so I'll be building a list of "things to do before population" if I can hold off for this "cycle". These are the 400-700gb databases, so it's not fun.

--
Michael Kline
13308 Thornridge Ct

------------------------------------------------------------- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com ------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe send email to: oracle-l-request_at_freelists.org put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line. -------------------------------------------------------------