Re: Oracle vs Mysql

From: Craig I. Hagan <hagan_at_cih.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:39:25 -0800

> > I have a book devoted to PostgresSQL at home. When I come home, I'll
> > post the information.
>
> O'Reilly has "Practical Postgresql", the full text of which is also available online: http://www.commandprompt.com/ppbook/
>
> I know there are a couple of others floating around as well.
>
> But you're right, MySQL (sadly, IMO) has the mindshare.

I'm not sure about sadly, this is very much a development model difference just like between linux and freebsd. Postgresql is (culturally and otherwise) an extension of the university project, mysql is a much more in the weeds do-over.

Currently I'd point people looking for opensource databases postgres for complicated problems as it has a lot more of what one would expect to see in a database product, but if their needs are simple or they are looking for long term then i'd suggest mysql. Mysql has (like linux vs. *bsd) a much larger share of the developer mindset and that is the most important thing when it comes to opensource software.

			    Craig I. Hagan
			   hagan(at)cih.com

   Scientists have discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

Author: Craig I. Hagan
  INET: hagan_at_cih.com